Sunday, May 19, 2019

Press *pause* on your creativity, please...


I just finished replacing a zipper and hemming two pair of pants for very good friends. I don't mind the occasional favor for buddies because I get paid back in spades.  The only time I resent repair requests is when I'm in the middle of a quilt project. I don't like having to pause my creative process to hem pants or whatever. And if it's a difficult alteration or repair I tend to procrastinate doing it, but I can't make myself do any other sewing until I finish the task I committed to. Ugh! (You know, when I write this stuff then re-read it, I realize how crazy I am. Ack!) I'm obviously not a quilter who has multiple projects in progress. Makes me nervous! Lol!
The friends who ask for clothing alterations don't sew. Not even buttons. It boggles my mind. Here are comments from non-sewers that are personal pet peeves:
*   Would you mind fixing this broken zipper? It won't take you but a minute!
*   Would you hem these pants for me? Thanks! Oh, I need them for tomorrow. It shouldn't take you but a minute!
*   My kid has a ton of tshirts! Can you make her a t-shirt quilt? It doesn't have to be fancy so it shouldn't take much time.
*   It costs how much for quilt supplies? Wow! I thought you could just use some you already have on hand.
*   Can you repair this rip? All you have to do is cut this, sew that, turn it wrong side out, then sew it from underneath. (WHAT?)
*   My gosh! Why do you have all this fabric? You're a...a...a hoarder! (Like that's a bad thing!?!)
*   Why do you have so many sewing machines when you can't use but one at a time? 
*   You sew??!? My grandmother sewed.
*   Can you teach me to sew this weekend? It can't be that difficult.
*   Can you teach me to sew? I'd like to make my daughter's prom dress to save money. 
*   If you love me you'll make me a quilt. (POOF! You're a quilt!)
My list of people for whom I will do alterations is very short. Verrrry short. I figure all of us who are sewists  have the same type of list, although I do know a few quilters who know nothing about garment construction and can avoid the alterations trap. 
Back to my friend with the broken zipper. She's very set in her ways, a bit OCD, and traditional style mostly tailored. This was the second repair on this zipper. I told her I would try to figure something out, to which she laughingly said, "Maybe you can just put Velcro instead of a zipper!" When I called to tell her I had completed the repair she was so excited to get her favorite pants back! She laughed and asked if I used the Velcro. I got quiet and then asked, "Were you kidding about using velcro?" * long pause * I knew she would never wear velcro'd pants but I let her think that was the case until she came by today. Lol!! She wasn't nearly as amused by me as I was. *giggle*  And I'm the woman who recommends kindness! *another giggle*
I'm signing off so I can get back to piecing and quilting. Woohooo!
-Angie Clemons
Choose kind! (Do as I say, not as I do. Lol!)

No comments:

Post a Comment